Enter your keyword


New Zealand is a young country where independence, initiative and resourcefulness are more highly regarded than status or rules. As a student here you’ll be encouraged to be questioning, flexible and to seek your own answers by thinking for yourself. Loyal Wise Study helps students gain admission to prestigious universities.


New Zealand may often end up crudely stereotyped as a rugby-mad country cut off from the rest of the world and overrun with hobbits, but, truth be told, there are plenty of reasons to consider moving to a university here (and not just because you’re a Lord of the Rings super-fan). Here’s everything you need to know to apply for a New Zealand student visa.


To make an application for a New Zealand student visa, you can apply online or in person before traveling.

To apply in person within your home country, you will need to contact your local New Zealand consulate or embassy to get an application form and/or appointment. You should apply at least six weeks before you plan to travel to New Zealand.

Application fees vary depending on your country of origin. You will need to show:

Acceptance letter from a university in New Zealand

For your New Zealand student visa application, you will need to provide proof of acceptance at an accredited New Zealand-based education provider.

Evidence of sufficient funds

You will also need to show that you have sufficient funds to pay your tuition fees (this can include evidence of loan coverage, scholarship or other funds) and proof of funds to cover your living costs while you study in New Zealand (via a sponsor, a loan, a scholarship, government support or sufficient bank balance). You need to prove you have at least NZD$15,000 (~US$10,870) for each year if your course is longer than nine months.

Proof of onward travel

This can be evidence of already paid-for onward tickets, proof of further funds or agreement from a sponsor to pay for onward travel. The point is to show that you intend, and can afford, to leave the country once you complete your studies.

Travel insurance

This can often be arranged through your education provider.

Medical certificates

If you are planning to study in New Zealand for more than 12 months you will need to provide a general medical certificate, a chest x-ray certificate and possibly undertake a tuberculosis screening.

If you are under 18 you will also need to provide proof of arranged accommodation, and if you are 17 or older, a police certificate of “good character”.

As well as documents to prove the above, you’ll also need to provide:

  • Two color passport photos
  • A passport valid for at least three months after the date you plan to leave New Zealand
  • Proof you’ve paid the application fee
  • Student visas applied for online usually take 20 days to process, while student visas applied for via the paper form take 25 days to process.


International full-time students with a student visa are legally allowed to work in New Zealand for up to 20 hours per week during term time, and may work full-time during all scheduled holiday periods such as Christmas, Easter and summer holidays. Work experience required in your studies doesn’t count towards the 20-hour limit. International students can’t be self-employed.

Masters by research and PhD students can work as many hours as they wish.

After your studies you may still be eligible to work in New Zealand, but you will need to check with the visa authorities and then apply for the appropriate work visa.